Monday, January 30, 2006

Keggers, Krazies, and a helluva lot of nachos












(TOP - Olga and friend at Frat Party after sick punk band, MIDDLE - Mihai around 1:45, BOTTOM: Kippis ja Emma! - A going away party, Finn style)

After a previous weekend of domestic life that included as a highlight getting dumplings on sale for $2 or doing laundry, finally I had a weekend that was full from day in to day out.

Friday after work, I had a meeting with a band I might be shooting a new music video for. This however required me to go out to Square One in the West End city of Mississauga. This requires taking the "somewhat dodgy" Mississauga Transit which isn't too reliable. Upon arrival at the "mall", via wide roads in spraling dark suburbs, I made it to the mall. The meeting went well and I thought this new crew was down. Just when we're getting into a chill mood, I had to go back to the T., as we had NO IDEA how late the transit ran till, and being stuck out there after a certain time might not be too key.

Saturday gave me a bit of time to sleep in and finish off some articles and interviews for KONFLIKT IN THE KINO and other papers. The internet cafe was actually somewhat quiet except for some Spanish guy rambling the entire time I was there on some "web based long distance". I came home and still hadn't eaten, but saved myself for going out to Emma's going away party.

My Finn-Canadian friends and I met up at a fav spot in Parkdale. It was funny when one of them asked "Where are we?" as anyone from the east end of Toronto seemed "lost". Didn't I deal with this the previous night? Anyhow, after ordering nachos and eating nachos and burritos, I was nachoed out. My date to the consulate party, Mirva was texting on 2 cell phones. Markus (writer for Scandinavian paper) asked to get a "Brokeback Mountain" shot on his knee... Before you can say "Salsa and sour cream", it was off for me to Mihai's frat party, while answering another business call. The air was thick with "smells" and it surprised me that DADDY YANKEE's "Gasolina" was playing. Mihai was helping a punk band who played for 3 hours wrap up their gear when I snapped this fine pic.

I got home at 6am, and got up at 10:30. Dave F. and I were meeting at our fav local hangout along with other local sketchy people needing some coffee AND beer. Emma joined us as we all yammered about our evenings while scarfing down burgers. Emma needed some souvenirs so I introduced her to HONEST EDS where you can buy a Toronto "metal tray" that has pictures of bears, lakes, but NOTHING to do with Toronto! Then I had made my rounds downtown to do things such as go to ABC books or by organic milk.

At 6pm I get a call regarding another meeting. Could I come out to Mississauga again? My eyes can barely keep open. We ended up scheduling for Wednesday which OK as you can only do so much in a weekend and after music video meetings, frat parties, burgers, Finns in Parkdale, and other things that I WON'T be sharing with you, I felt finally that the weekend was full.