Monday, June 23, 2008

SHOCK AND AWE was SHOCK AND AWE-SOME! The Rundown

Since I started showcasing materials
from my archive back in the early
90's, I had dreams of doing an all
night show. First coming to Toronto
when in film school, I was facinated
with an old grindhouse on Younge Street, called the RIO and their "4 Great films for $4.75" which had their odd mix of something not too far away from their theatrical run then something long from it's initial run (back in the nineties they had "Tarzan Goes to India" showing at one point), some cut-to-s**t adult film, and some action flick. I always thought it would be great fun to cram in continuous films and go well beyond the normal times films would show. With the Rio's closing in 1992 and with me
beginning my screening career
shortly afterwards, it was virtually
impossible for me to reconstuct
an all night movie marathon.
Tim and I dreamed of doing this
with FESTIVAL CINEMAS, but
on it's demise, I thought it would
be impossible. Luckily the FOX
boys after a return from Finland
and the Canadian premiere of HUNKA JUNK 5, made it happen.

With an hour before we opened the
doors, I noticed several people milling outside. By the time the doors opened, I stepped outside and saw a
lineup around the block. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Patrons got seated for the night/morning long marathon of material from my archives, and an exclusive screening of the Peter Jackson disgusting splatter classic/comedy "Dead Alive", which thanks to Tim and the Fox Boyz, we got the Canadian exclusive on. Before we started, patrons got to see some "vintage" Russian music videos from an old tape I picked up before going to a St. Petersburg Russia 3-D grindhouse back in the day. They seemed to be having fun, and ready to buckle down for the evening.

Fox theatre manager introduced me as "the king of Finland" (LOL!) and off to the races we went.

Getting ready for one show is lots of work in itself, but running six back to back def had me workin on my game. As the evening went and the more sleep deprived I became, I had to really concentrate on the hosting skills and making sure everything ran on time. Andy luckily had me down on the schedule. Tim was also my backbone at the merch table.

All in all, the films were all great fun, and the audience was locked down to have fun for the evening/morning and they were in for the long haul. I can't say there was one particular highlight of the nite, but instead can say I enjoyed the whole nite!

Special thanks to all that came out, the Fox guys for getting it in gear. Sponsors RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE, FILM BUFF, CUT AND RUN, and the AFTER DARK FILM FESTIVAL helped get the word out. Also, THE TORONTO STAR, BLOG.TO, Stuart at CKLN 88.1 made sure people were in the know. BURRITO BOYS, AMATO's PIZZA made sure there was nutritional value past the popcorn. But to everyone who came out to make it a truly special night, my hats off to you.

Team SHOCK AND AWE is ready to work on it again! November is when we plan the next one, and it's funny, already I'm excited.

The funniest moment might have been when the projectors were shut down and we cleaned the theatre after being there for 12 hours. I've never picked up so many RED BULL cans in my life!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dion, many, many MANY congrats dude. We were so proud to support this event, and be happy to be there for you in November too. Best,
~ Adam @ torontoafterdark

12:22 AM  
Blogger Doug Tilley said...

Just one more time, I want to thank you for an amazing night. I can't wait for the next one, and i'm sure the folks I dragged along thank you for all the effort you put into the event.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home